I am an assistant professor at DePaul University, adjunct assistant professor at Northwestern University and the CTO of SenseWhy INC. I also teach Wireless and Mobile health (mHealth), Health Informatics, Electronic Health Records, and Applied Computing courses. I received my Ph.D. in Computer Engineering from Washington State University (WSU) in 2021 with the guidance of Professor Hassan Ghasemzadeh at EMIL Lab. I currently work on health monitoring projects related to stress detection and eating behavior recognition.
- Embedded Systems
- Mobile Health (mHealth)
- Smart Sensing Solutions
- On-Device Processing
- Power Optimization and Energy Harvesting
- DePaul-RFUMS Grant - SmokeSense: Advancing Wrist-Worn Devices with AI for Real-Time Smoking Insights
- NIH R01 - EAT: A Reliable Eating Assessment Technology for Free-living Individuals
- NIH R21 - BehaviorSight: Privacy Enhancing Wearable System to Detect Health Risk Behaviors in Real-time
- NIH R03 - WildCam: A Privacy Conscious Wearable Eating Detection Camera People will Actually Wear in the Wild
2023-11. Our grant “SmokeSense: Advancing Wrist-Worn Devices with AI for Real-Time Smoking Insights” with Dr. Jao was funded ($67,000) by DePaul-RFU Grant Program: AI in Biomedical Discovery & Healthcare.
2023-8. I joined DePaul University as a tenure-track assistant professor. Also, I will collaborate with Northwestern University as an adjunct assistant professor.
2023-5. Our paper “Detecting Eating and Social Presence with All Day Wearable RGB-T” got accepted at 2023 IEEE/ACM Conference on Connected Health: Applications, Systems and Engineering Technologies (CHASE)
2023-2. Our paper “SmokeMon: Unobtrusive Extraction of Smoking Topography Using Wearable Energy-Efficient Thermal” got accepted at Proceedings of the ACM on Interactive, Mobile, Wearable and Ubiquitous Technologies (IMWUT)
2023-1. Our paper “Experience: Barriers and Opportunities of Wearables for Eating Research” got accepted at CHI 2023 Case Studies
2022-9. Our paper “SmartAct: Energy Efficient and Real-Time Hand-to-Mouth Gesture Detection Using Wearable RGB-T” got accepted at BSN 2023